What You Need To Ride A 125cc Scooter

Sometimes it can be confusing with all of the information available to figure out exactly where you stand legally when it comes to learner legal riding (or riding with ‘L’ plates). We’ve put together a series of articles to help you through this confusing maze of advice.

To ride a 125cc Scooter in the UK on the road you must:

  • Be at least 17 years old (16 for a moped)
  • Have a driving licence which allows you to ride motorcycles (category A)

That licence can be any of the following:

  • A provisional driving licence with motorcycle entitlement
  • Full car licence. This automatically provides provisional motorcycle entitlement
  • Full motorcycle licence
  • Full moped licence. This provides automatic provisional motorcycle entitlement if you’re aged 17 years or over

A provisional motorcycle entitlement entitles learners to ride a motorcycle:

  • Up to 125cc
  • With a maximum power output of 11kW (14.6bhp)

Don’t Forget Insurance!

Of course, although it seems pretty obvious, you’ll also need some 125cc scooter insurance. MCE Insurance are one of the UK’s leading scooter insurance providers and are currently sponsoring the British Superbikes and offering a massive 30% off insurance policies if you buy cover online.

Other Resources for Learner Legal Riders:

Sitemap | Terms & Conditions | Scooter Resources